Maintaining a consistent daily skincare regimen holds significance, yet in the context of exercising, establishing both pre and post-workout skincare routines becomes notably more essential. As fitness trends continue to surge, the frequency of workouts has risen. In the process, you can’t ignore your skin. Achieving a radiant complexion following a gym session carries aesthetic appeal, and following a proper skincare routine before and after workout substantially contributes to upholding that appearance. Not following a proper skincare routine may lead to unwanted breakouts and other skin problems.
Dos and don’ts of skincare pre-workout
Dos of skincare before workout
1. Remove makeup: Wearing makeup while exercising is the primary reason for acne coming up on the face. It is advised to wipe makeup off of the skin.
2. Cleansing: It is equally important to wash the face using a mild cleanser. Cleansing helps to ensure there is no residue left that can block the pores and result in acne.
3. Hydrate: Applying a gentle moisturiser and sunscreen as per need is also important for the care of your skin.
4. Sunscreen: If you’re exercising outdoors, apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30 to protect your skin from UV rays.
5. Using good cotton gym clothes helps in proper skin care and reduces sweat rashes and fungal infection chances.
Don’ts of skincare before workout
1. Heavy Products: Avoid using heavy creams or oils that can make your skin feel suffocated during exercise.
2. Exfoliation: Skip harsh exfoliation before a workout as it can irritate your skin when combined with sweat.
3. New Products: Avoid trying new skincare products before a workout. Stick to what you know won’t cause irritation or breakouts.
Dos and don’ts of skincare after workout
Dos of skincare post workout
1. Wash your hands: It’s important to wash your hands after working out to get rid of the bacteria and other microbes that we can get on touching the gym equipment. Not only it’s a healthy habit this small effort reduces the chances of allergies, bacterial and fungal infections.
2. Take a shower and change into clean clothes: It makes us clean, reduces body odour, and prevents infections.
3. Moisturise: To ensure your skin remains hydrated, it is a must to thoroughly moisturise your face and neck region.
4. Drink water: Hydrate your skin from within by drinking plenty of water post-workout. If your skin is red and flushed, use a cool, damp cloth to gently pat your skin and reduce inflammation.
5. Sunscreen: It helps to protect your skin from harmful UV rays and keeps your skin blemish-free and glowing.
Don’ts of skincare post workout
1. Touch Your Face: Avoid touching your face with your hands, especially if they’re sweaty. This can transfer bacteria and lead to breakouts.
2. Heavy Makeup Application: Just like before your workout, avoid applying heavy makeup immediately after. Let your skin breathe.
3. Skip Cleansing: Even if you’re tired, don’t skip cleansing your face after a workout. Sweat left on the skin can contribute to breakouts.
Engaging in skincare routines before and after exercising is crucial to maintain skin cleanliness, hydration, and safeguarding against environmental factors. These routines play a pivotal role in averting concerns like blocked pores, breakouts, and skin irritation, while fostering a vibrant and healthy appearance. It’s important to note that using personal towels at the gym is highly necessary. Additionally, washing your hair after a workout session can eliminate sweat accumulation and contribute to optimal hair health.