When we gain weight, we see the effects of sedentary lifestyle and unhealthy foods on different parts of our body. Our face, thighs, abdomen and arms mostly take the hit. While running, cycling and swimming are good weight loss exercises, some like to go for the ones that target specific body parts. For instance, some people look for exercises to reduce arm fat and tone arms. One arm exercise that has caught attention of many is the arm circles. But do the benefits of arm circles include reducing fat and toning arms?
Do arm circles help arm fat?
Arm circles is a simple warm-up that involves moving your arms in a circular motion, says fitness expert Aminder Singh of Team Aminder fame. Doing arm circles can help you in toning your arms, but adding other workouts, especially strength training exercises, is a more effective way to get rid of flabby arms.
There are other benefits of arm circles too. Let’s check them out!
1. Arm circles work on the shoulders and upper body
The shoulders and upper body can benefit greatly from arm circles. They first act as a powerful warm-up, gradually raising your heart rate and boosting blood flow to the targeted shoulder region. Your muscles are warmed up initially to be ready for more strenuous exercises.
2. Arm circles may reduce risk of muscular damage
Arm circles help to increase the flow of blood around the shoulder joint, which is essential for feeding the muscles, tendons and ligaments with oxygen and nutrients. Also, by assisting in the clearance of metabolic waste, this enhanced blood flow lowers the likelihood of muscular damage and weariness, says the expert.
3. Arm circles reduce the risk of pain during shoulder activities
The shoulder joints, tendons and ligaments are helped to lubricate by performing arm circles with a controlled range of motion. By improving joint mobility and flexibility, this lubrication lowers the risk of pain or injury during shoulder activities.
4. Arm circles help to improve posture
By using the shoulders’ posterior muscles, arm circles help to improve posture, Singh tells Health Shots. Strengthening of these muscles aids in promoting an upright posture by assisting in preventing the propensity to lean forward. This postural adjustment eases pressure on the neck and upper back.
How to do arm circles
To make sure you do arm circles properly, follow these steps:
• Start by assuming an erect stance and placing your feet shoulder-width apart
• Lift one arm up toward you while maintaining shoulder-level straightness
• From here, softly shrug your shoulder upward to begin the circular motion
• Move on to spin the arm in the appropriate direction
Everyone has a different tolerance when it comes to range of motion. While some people can rotate the arms completely, others might only feel confident doing partial rotations. Just be careful not to exert yourself more than you feel comfortable with to prevent any damage.
Common mistakes to avoid while doing arm circles
Arm circles look easy, but people do make mistakes. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
• It is important to keep a neutral spine throughout the workout.
• Refrain from putting too much weight or momentum while doing arm circles
• Take your time with the exercise. When arm circles are performed too fast, form might be compromised, which can even result in injury
• Make sure the size of your arm circles is appropriate. Your shoulder joints may become injured if you overextend your range of motion
Arm circles are straightforward yet powerful movements. So, add arm circles to your fitness routine to enjoy its benefits.